ASHLAND — Two Ashland residents have been displaced from their home after cooking oil on a stove caught fire and belched black smoke throughout the residence. 

Ashland Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief Dana Sallee said the house is owned by Southern Oregon University and sustained from $5,000 to $10,000 in damage. The fire displaced an adult, a child and two pets who lived there, though no one was hurt. 

"There was a lot of smoke," Sallee said.

The incident was reported at 8:25 p.m. Sunday. The adult resident had cooking oil on the stove in a pot when it caught fire. A fire extinguisher tempered the flames, but didn't extinguish them fully, Sallee said. Water doused the remainder of the fire, but caused the pot to overflow, spilling hot oil onto the floor and filling the area with smoke. Heat blistered some cabinets near the stove and the hood above it, but the residence was spared from fire-related damage. 

Ashland Fire responded with two engines, with a third support engine from Jackson County Fire District 5. The District 5 fire engine was turned around when Ashland units arrived on scene, as the fire was already out. 

The occupants of the house were temporarily moved to other university-owned housing, Sallee said, adding that the American Red Cross provided additional help, including food vouchers.

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or rpfeil@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/ryanpfeil.