Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. THE CHALLENGE OF THE PRESIDENT’S BIG SPEECH
His first State of the Union address on Tuesday may show whether President Trump can deliver not only a stately oration but also stay on track as the White House rolls out policies building on it.
2. WHO WAS THE BIG WINNER AT THE GRAMMYS
Bruno Mars won all six awards he was nominated for on a night where artists addressed sexual harassment and abuse, Trump, immigration and gun violence.
3. TRUMP’S STYLE CONCERNING TO REPUBLICAN DONORS
The conservative movement’s elite money men are worried that the president’s undisciplined behavior is clouding his achievements and could harm the GOP’s chances in the 2018 midterms.
4. HOW THE LEADER OF THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT IS COPING
Attorney General Jeff Sessions will soon mark his first year on the job, having survived a barrage of insults from Trump, antipathy from employees and even calls from fellow Republicans for him to resign.
5. ISLAMIC STATE TARGETS KABUL INSTITUTION
Militants attacked soldiers guarding a military academy in the Afghan capital, killing at least 11 troops and wounding 16.
6. PERSONAL MOTIVATION BEHIND CAR WASH SHOOTING
A man suspected of gunning down four people in Pennsylvania was driven by jealousy, according to family members of the shooting victims.
7. SURVIVORS OF HURRICANE MARIA FACE CHALLENGES IN STARTING OVER
Around the U.S., many Puerto Ricans are adrift in hotels because of the Sept. 20 storm. Spared from the misery of its aftermath on the island, the transition has often proved to be difficult, disruptive and expensive
8. CYBERSPACE IS CURSE AND BLESSING FOR TEHRAN
The “halal net,” is the Iranian government’s locally-controlled version of the internet, regulating the flow of information while hoping to generate economic benefits
9. HOW SAFER WINTER TRAVEL IS HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT
Experts who fear road salt is starting to take a toll on the nation’s waterways, putting everything from fish and frogs to microscopic zooplankton at risk.
10. WHO IS TRADING IN THE OCTAGON FOR THE RING
Ronda Rousey has ditched UFC for WWE, officially making the anticipated jump to wrestling night with a surprise appearance at the Royal Rumble in Philadelphia.