Firefighters doused a structure fire in Quiet Village Wednesday evening, limiting it to the garage and part of the attic, while the owner, Anne Wheeler was traveling back from the coast.
The fire apparently started outside in a trash and recycling storage area and went up the side of the house on Coventry Place at the corner of Glendower Street, making its way into the garage. The fire was called in by neighbors at about 6:30 p.m.
Some half a dozen fire engines worked on the fire, soon controlling it and, said Battalion Chief Chris Chambers, making sure there was no one in the house — and seeing what kind of smoke and fumes had entered the living space.
Friends soon reached the owner on the phone, who was driving in the Grants Pass area, and found out that her two dogs were with her and not hiding out in the house.
Neighbors said they tried to fight the fire with garden hoses and were glad when firefighters arrived at the house, which was gushing smoke from the garage.
While it looked major at first, Chambers, after an hour fighting the blaze, said “it’s not major.”
Chambers said firefighters are checking attic and ducts to see the extent of the fumes and soot particles inside, which can be unhealthful to breath. A friend said Wheeler would be spending the night with her.
— John Darling is an Ashland freelance writer. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.