Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
Click here for more national and international news
1. ‘IN RETROSPECT I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE DONE THINGS A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY’
Donald Trump Jr. tells Fox News that he blames a decision for taking a meeting with a Russian lawyer with potentially damaging information on Hillary Clinton on the “million miles per hour” pace of a presidential campaign.
2. TRUMP’S FBI PICK TO FACE QUESTIONS ABOUT INDEPENDENCE
Christopher Wray faces a Senate confirmation hearing that will undoubtedly focus on the political tumult surrounding his nomination.
3. GOP PLANNING NEW REPEAL OF ‘OBAMACARE’
Sen. John Cornyn of Texas says the measure will likely keep a pair of tax hikes on wealthier Americans that Obama’s statute imposed to help finance its expanded coverage.
4. KIM ACCELERATES NORTH KOREA’S MISSILE DEVELOPMENT
The reclusive leader vowed in his New Year’s address this would be year of the intercontinental ballistic missile, and launched his first on July 4. And there’s more to come.
5. LIFE GOES ON IN QATAR DESPITE REGIONAL POWER PLAY
It’s been more than a month since four Arab nations cut land, sea and air routes to the country, but in the gas-rich Gulf nation’s glimmering malls and luxury hotels there is little sign of hardship.
6. EARLY TRAUMA LINKED TO ADULT HEALTH ISSUES
Researchers are discovering that ongoing stress during early childhood — from poverty, neglect and parental substance abuse — can lead to some of the major causes of death and disease in adulthood.
7. DETAINED IRANIAN CANCER RESEARCHER SENT HOME
Mohsen Dehnavi, holding a J-1 visa for visiting scholars, had arrived in the U.S. to start work at a prominent Boston hospital. The hospital says the reasons for the detention were unclear.
8. SOLDIER STAYED IN ARMY DESPITE SUPPORT FOR ISLAMIC STATE GROUP
The case of Sgt. 1st Class Ikaika Kang highlights the challenges investigators face with protecting the public from potential danger and gathering sufficient evidence to enable prosecution on the other.
9. JOE SCARBOROUGH LEAVING GOP
The MSNBC host, former Republican Congressman and frequent Trump critic tells late-night talk show host Stephen Colbert: “I’ve got to become an independent.”
10. NEW-LOOK ALL-STAR GAME ENDS WITH OLD-TIME SCORE
Seattle’s Robinson Cano homers off Cubs closer Wade Davis leading off the 10th inning and the American League beat the National League 2-1.