Southern Oregon University’s McLoughlin Hall was evacuated late Sunday afternoon after a student hooked his hammock to the fire sprinkler in his room, breaking the sprinkler, setting off the fire alarm and flooding rooms on the first floor, fire officials said.

The alarm went off around 4:46 p.m. Sunday, and Ashland Fire & Rescue responded with two engines and Campus Public Safety, as well as university housing and facilities management staff, also were on the scene.

Ashland Fire & Rescue crews restored the fire alarm system, turned off the water and used wet vacs and squeegees to remove some of the water until maintenance crews took over, Battalion Chief Matt Freiheit said.

Students were allowed to re-enter the building shortly after 6 p.m., and those residing in the three affected rooms were relocated, SOU spokesman Ryan Brown said.

“Not only did Ashland Fire ensure the safety of our students, but once the site was secure they helped our staff minimize water damage to property and even helped move furniture out of the room,” Brown said.

No one was hurt in the incident.

The university notified all students and staff of the incident and posted the following safety tip on its Facebook page:

“Carefully read and follow all housing rules and regulations, including treatment of fire sprinklers in residences. If you are aware of potential safety issues, please contact University Housing staff immediately.”