A man walked into the restroom at the Talent skate park Friday carrying a five-gallon gasoline can, then after about 10 to 15 minutes he ran from the restroom on fire, police said.
TALENT — A man walked into the restroom at the Talent skate park Friday carrying a five-gallon gasoline can, then after about 10 to 15 minutes he ran from the restroom on fire, police said.
Steven Christopher Kilcollins, 31, was burned extensively over 90 percent of his body, Talent Police Chief Mike Moran said.
Emergency officials responded to the park after a 9-1-1 call came in at 1:53 p.m. A Talent city official first saw the fire and called, but didn't realize it was a person.
Talent police say the Kilcollins ran for a few seconds, fell down, got back up and resumed running.
Two passers-by eventually tackled and subdued the man while a passing motorist ran to a nearby coffee shop and grabbed a fire extinguisher.
The fire had been put out by the time Jackson County Fire District No. 5 crews arrived on scene. He was badly burned, crews said.
Kilcollins' permanent address is unknown, although he is a longtime resident of Jackson County. Police found that Kilcollins had just checked himself out of the Jackson County Work Release Center at about 12:53 p.m., he then purchased gasoline at a gas station in Talent and was seen walking toward the area of the skate park.
At this time, police find it likely that Kilcollins intentionally poured gasoline on himself and lit it on fire, but have been unable to interview him due to his immediate need for medical treatment.
Kilcollins was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center. Officials there said he was in critical condition. He was later transferred Legacy Oregon Burn Center in Portland.
Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reporter Mandy Valencia can be reached at 541-776-4486 or email@example.com