Print this ArticlePrint this Article Email this ArticleEmail this Article
Text Size: A | A | A

Francis Lane fire sends flames leaping from propane tank

 Posted: 10:25 AM November 29, 2013

A Thanksgiving night fire outside an Ashland house ignited a propane tank and a row of junipers, sending flames 20 feet high before they were quickly quelled by firefighters.

No one was hurt in the 11:37 p.m. fire in the 700 block of Frances Lane, which caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the residence, fence, carport and shed, according to Ashland Fire & Rescue.

The fire appeared to have begun in the vicinity of plastic recycling bins, which caught fire, firefighters said. The hot flames from the burning plastic also burned wood siding on the house before igniting the barbecue's propane tank and an adjacent row of juniper bushes, firefighters said.

Firefighters from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 also responded.

No cause was determined, but the fire was not considered suspicious, Battalion Chief Dana Sallee said.

— Mark Freeman


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK