Print this ArticlePrint this Article Email this ArticleEmail this Article
Text Size: A | A | A

Timber Payment Cut 'Another Blow To Beleaguered Counties'

 Posted: 7:30 AM August 23, 2013

A portion of the timber payments that Oregon counties were counting on next year, will not be coming, according to Governor John Kitzhaber's office.

The Forest Service has announced plans to reduce timber payments next year by about five percent, as part of the automatic spending cuts known as sequestration. Oregon is the hardest hit state in the nation, losing about $3.5 million. Eric Schmidt with the Association of Oregon Counties says it's yet another loss of funds that counties had been counting on.

Schmidt explained, "This is just another blow for our beleaguered Oregon counties that are on the brink of financial disaster. The federal government has decided to do something that is unprecedented. But at this point in time, there isn't much we can do about it."

Forest Service Chief Thomas Tidwell sent a letter to Governor Kitzhaber's office in March, asking the money be paid back. Kitzhaber questioned the legal authority. Now, the governor's spokesman Tim Raphael says that instead of asking for a check, the Forest Service will take the money out of next year's Secure Rural Schools funds.

— Oregon Public Broadcasting


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK