Ruth Tucker was born in Lowell, Mass. November 25, 1916, one of five children born to Charles and Margretta Tucker. She passed away January 3, 2013, at Ashland Community Hospital after a brief illness.
She graduated with her R.N. from the Melrose Hospital School of Nursing in Melrose, Mass. During World War II, she served as a captain in the Army Nurses corps, spending most of her time in Australia, New Guinea, and the Philippines. After the war, she met a young physician, William Evans, in Fort Sill, Oklahoma. They were married in 1947. They then moved to Dixonville, Penn. in western Pennsylvania where they remained for over 50 years and raised two daughters, Margaret and Barbara. In 1998 they moved to Ashland, Ore. Bill passed away on their 55th wedding anniversary in 2002.
Since that time Ruth became known for her philanthropic work. She was most proud of establishing the Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship program through the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation; since its founding more than 100 nursing students have received scholarships. She contributed to the Evans Family Endowed Music Scholarship Fund at SOU, and established several Oregon Community Foundation funds to benefit local projects. She and Bill also established two funds with the Pittsburgh Foundation. She was a staunch supporter of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County, Penn.
She was a member of First Presbyterian Church, Ashland, and was an ordained deacon in the Presbyterian Church. She is survived by her two daughters of Ashland; her brother, Charles, who lives in Massachusetts; plus three nieces and one nephew, as well as their children and grandchildren.
Contributions in her memory may be made to the Memorial Fund of First Presbyterian Church, P.O. Box 626, Ashland, OR 97520 or to the Evans Endowed Nursing Scholarship Fund of the Ashland Community Hospital Foundation, P.O. Box 98, Ashland, OR 97520. Arrangements by Litwiller-Simonsen Funeral Home, Ashland, Ore. www.litwillersimonsen.com